SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY SURGERY
Duration of TreatmentSleeve Gastrostomy operation usually takes 1to 2 hours.
Days of StayUsually 3 - 5 days at the hospital and 15 days in India.
What is Sleeve gastrectomy?
Sleeve gastrectomy has also called partial gastrectomy (outpatient bariatric surgery). It’s the most common type of weight loss surgery where the stomach is made smaller by surgical removal to form a slim “sleeve.” The procedure helps to reduce the size of the stomach, although there could be some dilatation of the stomach after the period. The procedure is generally done by laparoscopically and is irreversible.
Sleeve Gastrostomy Signs & Symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Increased heart rate.
- Shortness of breath.
- Chest pain.
- Shoulder pain.
Sleeve Gastrostomy risk factor includes:
- Bowel obstruction
- Dumping syndrome
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Stomach perforation
- The patient is required to go for PSC ( Pre-surgery check-up ) to do some blood test, ECG and ECH for Cardiac check-up and urine tests to know he /she is fit for surgery or not.
- Before the operation, you’ll be asked to sign a consent form, which gives the surgeon permission to carry out the treatment.
- The doctor should be informed about any medication that the patient may be taking.
- The patient is admitted to the hospital on same days before the procedures and advised to remain empty stomach/Fasting.
- Thinners medicines have to stop before ten days of surgery.
- Most of the patients are operated under epidural or spinal anaesthesia where their legs are numbed and a fine tube is put in the back through which anaesthetic agents keeps dripping in. This also controls pain in the post-operative period.
- Sleeve Gastrostomy surgery usually took around 60 to 90 minutes to finish.
- The surgeon will make small incisions around 2 to 5 small cuts in your belly.
- The surgeon inserts instruments needed to perform the surgery are inserted through these cuts.
- The surgeon will connect the camera to a video monitor in the operating room, its help him to see inside your belly while operating. And remove most of your stomach.
- The surgeon will finally, closed the incisions with the help of surgical staples
- Take painkillers to reduce fever, relieve pain and discomfort in the abdomen.
- Wear compression garments to prevent deep vein thrombosis.
- Drink more liquids in the first 24 hours.
- You should eat small amounts of food and must chew your food slowly while eating.
Patients can lose about 30 and 50 % of their extra weight in the first year following the sleeve Gastrectomy surgery procedure.
faqs from doctor
- Are you board-certified Bariatric Surgeon?
- Does your hospital certify to perform sleeve gastrostomy surgery?
- Am I a good patient for you to this sleeve gastrostomy surgery procedure?
- Let me know success rates and how long time will take for recovery?
- What are the risk factors for sleeve gastrostomy surgery?
- What treatment plan do you recommend and Why?
- What are my options if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my treatment surgery?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of surgery?
- What are the costs involved with this type of sleeve gastrostomy surgery?
- How will a long time take this sleeve gastrostomy surgery?
- How long I have to say in a hospital and outside the hospital?
- What are risk factors for this type of sleeve gastrostomy surgery?
- How long will it take to recover?
- Will I need plastic surgery after Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery?
- When can I go for normal activities, including exercise?
- Do I have stitches, staples, and/or bandages?
- Do I have a scar or other permanent effects from the surgery?
- Do I need any follow-up appointments or tests after my surgery?
Bariatric / Laparoscopy Surgeon
25 Year's of Experience
GI & Bariatric Surgeon
35 Years of Experience
GI & Bariatric Surgeon
37 Years of Experience
Uttar Pradesh, India